Preparing Your Home for Showing
In order to present your home at its best for photos and property showings, there are a few tasks that you, as the Seller, should do:
- Remove clutter and clear off counters – The idea of de-cluttering is to remove all personal items that will attract the attention of potential Buyers, causing them to look at your “stuff” and not your home. Remember, you are selling your home, not your personal belongings. You want Buyers to admire the wonderful features that your home has to offer, and be able to picture themselves, their family, and their personal items in the space. Neatly store unused and unnecessary items and furniture in closets, storage units or in the garage.
- Lock up valuables, jewelry, keys, and money – Your safety is always a top priority so be sure to lock up any items that are of value or important to you. Keep money, keys, and garage remotes out of sight.
- Clean all areas inside and outside of your home – A clean house will make a strong first impression and send a message to Buyers that your home has been well-cared for. This includes floors, windows, blinds, baseboards, walls, and ceiling fans. Cut the grass and trim trees and bushes that may be impeding the driveway or walkways. Sweep and remove toy/other items that you do not need off of patios and balconies.
- Get rid of smells – Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells. Open the windows to air out the house. Potpourri or scented candles will help, but only use them near the entrance of the home and in the hallway between bedrooms. Too much of these items may make Buyers think you are trying to hide something.
- Brighten your rooms – Wash windows and screens, and make sure there are working light bulbs in all light fixtures. For rooms or areas that do not receive a lot of natural light, you may want to consider using higher wattage light bulbs.
- Neutralize paint colors throughout the house.
- Take care of minor repairs that may influence a Buyer’s decision to purchase your home – There are some repairs that may seem minor, but could deter a Buyer from making an offer on your home. This includes plumbing leaks, torn screens, and sticking doors.
- Accentuate – Jazz up your home by adding small accents here and there (we can help you with this). For example, a nice plant or flowers, table setting, or centerpiece.